FAQ - Miscellaneous


1. What is the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System & Registry (NMLS)?

The NMLS is the system of record for non-depository, financial services licensing or registration for participating state agencies, including the State of Nevada Division of Mortgage Lending. The NMLS is the official system for companies and individuals seeking to apply for, amend, renew, and surrender a residential mortgage broker, residential mortgage banker, residential mortgage agent, or mortgage servicer license or certificate of exemption. NMLS itself does not grant or deny license authority.

Additional information on the NMLS can be found on its Website - NMLS

The NMLS Call Center is open 9:00 am to 9:00 pm (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. The toll free number to contact NMLS is 855-NMLS-123 (or 855-665-7123).

2. Does the new TRID-Know Before You Owe disclosures, effective October 3, 2015, satisfy the requirements of NRS 645B.305?

Yes. The new Loan Estimate and Closing Disclosures that meet the requirements of and are in compliance with the TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosure Rule does fulfill the requirements of NRS 645B.305.


3. How do I obtain authorization to file as a corporation, limited liability company or foreign corporation, or foreign limited liability company with the State of Nevada Secretary of State's office using the word "mortgage" or "financial" in the name or if the business purpose relates to the mortgage business?

Usage of certain words in the name and/or purpose of an entity filed with the Secretary of State are restricted pursuant to Title 7 of the Nevada Revised Statutes. It is necessary to obtain approval from certain agencies before submitting documents to the Secretary of State for a filing that contain those words, regardless if the word stands alone or if it is “part” of a word. Documents received by the Secretary of State which contain these restricted words will be rejected if they do not have the requisite approval. (See Nevada Secretary of State Restricted Word List)

If the name filing or business purpose includes the words “financial”, “mortgage”, or “mortgage banking”, or indicates that the business will engage in the mortgage business, the State of Nevada Secretary of State will require an approval letter from the Division of Mortgage Lending (“Division”) before it accepts the filing.

To obtain approval from the Division, a company must submit a written request to the Division which includes:

  • the purpose of the filing
  • the exact company name
  • the address for the company
  • the name of the contact person
  • a reliable telephone number
  • a detailed description of the proposed business activity that the company intends to conduct in Nevada

The written request for an approval letter needs to be submitted to the Division by e-mail through the Division’s general mailbox at mldinfo@mld.nv.gov, or by mail to the Division of Mortgage Lending, 3300 West Sahara Avenue, Ste 285, Las Vegas, NV 89102, or by facsimile to (702) 486-0785

If the company requesting approval plans to conduct mortgage activity in Nevada requiring licensure as a mortgage broker under NRS 645B or as a mortgage banker under NRS 645E, the Division will not provide an approval until the applicable license application has been submitted through the NMLS and the company is found suitable to hold a license. Once licensing is approved, the Division will issue an approval memorandum for the purpose of filing with the Secretary of State.

For further information on reserving a name from the Secretary of State, please visit http://nvsos.gov/.


4. Who does the Division regulate?

The Division is statutorily charged with the authority and responsibility to implement and administer five different licensing and regulatory programs and one registration program primarily related to non-depository mortgage lending activity.

The Division is responsible for the supervision and oversight of:

  • non-depository commercial and residential mortgage brokers and mortgage bankers doing business in Nevada under NRS 645B and NRS 645E
  • mortgage agents and residential mortgage loan originators of mortgage brokers and mortgage bankers doing business in Nevada under NRS 645B
  • covered service providers (e.g. loan modification companies) doing business in Nevada under NRS 645F.
  • mortgage servicers under NRS 645F
  • escrow agencies and escrow agents doing business in Nevada under NRS 645A
  • construction control companies doing business in Nevada under NRS 645A

5. How do I file a complaint against a mortgage broker, mortgage banker, mortgage agent, escrow agency, escrow agent, loan modification company or mortgage servicer?


Any person may submit a complaint to the Division against a mortgage broker, mortgage banker, mortgage agent, escrow agency, escrow agent, loan modification company, or mortgage servicer by completing and submitting a complaint form. The complaint form may be obtained on the MLD Website by following the Consumer Information page to “How to File a Complaint”
The completed complaint form and all related documentation detailing and supporting the complaint should be submitted to the Division by mail to:


The Compliance Investigation Unit
Division of Mortgage Lending
3300 West Sahara Avenue, Suite 285
Las Vegas, NV 89102

Or by facsimile at (702) 486-0785
Or by e-mail at mldinfo@mld.nv.gov

6. What other regulatory agencies govern lending businesses or lending practices?

The Division of Financial Institutions regulates state chartered banks, credit unions, installment loan lenders, collection agencies, and other companies – www.fid.nv.gov

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has a mission to make consumer financial markets work for consumers, responsible providers, and the economy as a whole. The cfpb protects consumers from unfair, deceptive, or abusive practices and takes action against companies that break the law. www.consumerfinance.gov

The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency regulates and supervises all national banks and federal savings associations as well as federal branches and agencies of foreign banks. The OCC is an independent bureau of the U.S. Department of the Treasury. www.occ.gov

The Federal Reserve regulates state banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System. www.federalreserve.gov

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation regulates federally insured banks that are not members of the Federal Reserve System. www.fdic.gov

The National Credit Union Administration regulates federal credit unions. www.ncua.gov

The Federal Trade Commission enforces laws and rules pertaining to consumer protection, predatory lending, unfair trade practices, and anti-trust. www.ftc.gov

The Department of Housing and Urban Development provides homebuyer, homeowner, and rental assistance. www.hud.gov   

If you have any further questions, please contact the Division of Mortgage Lending at (702) 486-0782.